Maple Syrup, A Great Sweetener For Vegans, A Smart Choice For All
The best sweetener choice for vegans would naturally be maple syrup. It is a totally “green choice” as the trees are not harmed from extracting the sap which is the sole ingredient in maple syrup. No other ingredient than pure Maple Sap is used which classify maple syrup as vegan. Maple syrup is a great sweetener for vegans and is becoming a more and more popular substitute for sugar.
Maple Syrup Is a Smarter and More Sensible Choice
Besides being totally natural, maple syrup making does not harm the environment in any way. The same cannot be said for other sweeteners. Sugar is filtered using bone char so it is not considered a vegan sweetener. When compared to agave, maple is better as it contains essential nutrients like zinc, manganese and potassium. Agave, which is made from a cactus plant, is 90% fructose and highly processed. (There is a current debate on agave effect on health). Stevia is a good sweetener but does not have the additional health benefits that maple has. Maple syrup is a great sweetener for vegans and, a naturally smarter choice.
Benefits of Including Maple Syrup in Your Diet
Maple syrup is high in nutrients and has immense protective value from its numerous antioxidants. Here is a short list of some of the maple syrup benefits
- Contains more calcium than milk.
- Contains more potassium than banana.
- Maple Syrup has a low glycemic index with low level of absorption which makes it better than normal sugar for diabetics.
- Low calories, makes a good substitute for anyone on a diet.
- High source of vitamins and minerals.
- Contains powerful antioxidants that have protective value and help the body to fight against cancer and diabetes.
- High manganese content aids in brain function.
- High riboflavin content aids in metabolic processes.
- High zinc content helps build up the body’s immune system.
- Contains potassium which helps reduce hypertension and chances of stroke.
Maple syrup is a great sweetener for vegans and it is 100% natural and non-processed. It is a great sugar substitute and is packed with essential nutrients. Finally, it tastes awesome!