Ingredients (Yield 9 servings)
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon minced crystallized ginger
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter or spray an 8×8 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, crystallized ginger, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Combine oil, applesauce, eggs and sugars; add to dry ingredients and mix well. Add zucchini; stir until thoroughly combined. Pour into the prepared 8×8 inch baking pan. 4. 4. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
- For the icing: In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, maple syrup, cinnamon and cardamom until smooth and creamy. Add confectioners’ sugar and mix well. Frost cake with icing.
Storage: Store covered in refrigerator for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
1. This icing is a little on the thin side and is not able to be piped. If you find the consistency to be too thin for your taste, gradually add in a little more confectioners’ sugar.
2. If you enjoy nuts, pecans and walnuts both pair well with this recipe. Simply fold in a ½ cup of chopped nuts before pouring the batter into the pan.
3. Don’t have cardamom or crystallized ginger? No problem, just omit them, but I do highly recommend adding both of these to your spice rack.