Dry ingredient mix:
- 1/2 cup dehydrated honey or brown sugar
- 2T dehydrated egg powder (if you use fresh egg, whisk 1egg into the wet ingredients ).
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat cake flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1T Chef Tess Wise Woman of the East Spice Blend (OR 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp ground clove, 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg)
To bake combine:
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup Chef Tess Homemade Sourdough Starter
- 2 cups organic powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1T melted butter
- 1tsp Wise Woman of the East Spice Blend
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour a nine inch by nine inch cake pan.
- Combine the dry ingredient mix. Combine the wet ingredient mixture.
- Mix the wet and the dry ingredients together, beating about 100 strokes by hand.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- While cake is warm, top with the maple glaze: Heat maple syrup and butter together until just boiling. Stir in powdered sugar and spice blend.
- Remove from heat and use immediately on the cake.