- ¼ cup high quality balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (Grade B)
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (5-inch)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 skin-on salmon fillets, 6 ounces each, 1 to 1 1/4 inches thick
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Whisk vinegar, juice, maple syrup or honey, and pepper flakes together in small bowl, then add rosemary. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until smoking. Season salmon with salt and pepper and cook, skin side up, without moving, until well browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip fish skin side down and cook until all but very center of fish is opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to platter and tent with foil.
- Wipe out pan with paper towels and lower heat to medium. Carefully pour balsamic mixture into pan (it will splatter). Maintain a strong simmer over medium to medium high heat until thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes. Remove rosemary sprig. Whisk in butter, season sauce with salt and pepper, and pour over salmon. Serve.