Ingredients (Makes 6)
- 4 1/2 tablespoons of butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings (left in the fridge to become solid)
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/4 cup of self rising flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- tiny tiny pinch of kosher salt
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/3 cup of minced bacon, cooked and drained
- 3/4 cup peeled, cored, grated apples
Maple Syrup Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 tablespoons of butter, room temp
- 2 tablespoons of cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- Cook some bacon in a fry pan (about 8 thick strips). Reserve the drippings and place in the fridge to solidify. Mince 1/3 a cup of the bacon.
- Beat the butter and solidified bacon fat 'till light and creamy. Add the brown sugar and maple syrup and beat well until combined.
- Add the egg and beat until incorporated.
- Sift the flour, salt, baking soda and powder together.
- Add some of the flour and mix, then some of the milk, then continue to alternate the dry and wet ingredients, ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold in the bacon and grated apple. Taste and add more maple syrup, flour, or milk if needed for desired taste and consistency. Keep in mind the maple frosting is very sweet, and to add in very small increments for alterations as maple syrup in large amounts can break a cake batter. That's why I added the cream cheese to the frosting recipe.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake at 350 F for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Be sure to rotate the pan after the first 15 minutes for even baking.
- Combine the syrup, cream cheese, and butter until combined. Add the sugar, a bit at a time, and whip at high speeds until combined and fluffy. Pipe or spread onto cupcakes. Sprinkle with crumbled, cooked bacon.