- 2 Tablespoons melted and cooled Earth Balance spread
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 "egg" = 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed in 3 Tablespoons warm water
- 1/2 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar + enough almond (or soy) milk to equal 1/2 Cup
- 1/4 Cup applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 Cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 heaping Cup chopped apple (i used fuji apples and cut them into 1/4" chunks)
- 1/2 Cup grated carrot
- 1 Cup raw walnuts (optional...but it makes it SO good!)
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 Tablespoons Tofutti Cream Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Earth Balance Spread
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Cup Vegan Powdered Sugar
Bake temp: 350 degrees F
Bake time: 30-40 minutes
For the cake
- Prepare the flax/water mixture and the Apple Cider Vinegar/"milk" mixture and set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix the Earth Balance, sugar, brown sugar, and maple syrup. then add the ACV/"milk" mixture, the flax/water mixture, and the applesauce and mix some more.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, spices, baking soda, and baking powder. stir everything together.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and whisk until just mixed. stir in the carrots and the apples. and add the walnuts.
- *here you can either use a greased 8" square pan, or line 2 muffin tins with cups*
Pour the mixture into the pan (or cups!) and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes...until you can insert a toothpick into the center and it comes out clean
- In a bowl us an electric mixer to mix the cream cheese and Earth Balance, until combined. then add in the confectioners sugar 1/4 cup at a time. next add in the maple syrup and the vanilla and mix a final time until everything looks creamy and frostingy!