- 1 1/2 cups finely grated Carrot, unpacked
- 1 Tblsp. ground Flax Seeds
- 1/4 cup Agave Syrup
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 3/4 cup Soy Milk
- 1/3 cup Canola Oil
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tblsp. grated Lemon Zest, fresh
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Spelt Flour
- 2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded Coconut
For the Lemon Glaze:
- 1 cup sifted Icing Sugar
- juice of 1 Lemon (add half first, then more if needed)
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F, and spray a 8″ loaf pan or 9″ square pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine Carrots, Flax Seeds, Agave, Maple Syrup, Soy Milk, Oil, Vanilla, Vinegar and Lemon Zest. Set aside for atleast 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, sift together Flour, Cinnamon, Baking Powder, Baking Soda and Salt. Add Coconut, and stir to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and stir just to combine. Pour the batter into the pan and smooth the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35- 45 minutes (the loaf pan takes longer than a square pan), or until a tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely until removing from pan, and covering with Lemon Glaze.
- Slowly add Lemon Juice to Icing Sugar until the right consistency is achieved. Pour over Carrot Loaf and allow to set.
Rebecca's comments: Warning: Will make a mess if eaten in the car…
PS: This would be delicious with the inclusion of Nuts, too!