Ingredients (Yields 12-16 muffins)
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups pure maple syrup, preferably Grade B
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg plus one large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk both flours, baking powder and salt and set aside. In another medium bowl, combine maple syrup, melted butter and milk then whisk in the egg and egg yolk. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until smooth. Stir in the walnut and let the batter stand for 5 minutes.
- Using a regular ice cream scoop, portion the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Bake for 10 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake for another 15 minutes or until muffins are golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.