- 1 can of organic coconut milk
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons crushed pink peppercorns, divided (I used a mortar and pestle to crush the peppercorns)
- 4 egg yolks, preferably organic and free-range
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Bring coconut milk and maple syrup to a boil in a pot on the stove. Add 2 tablespoons of the peppercorns and allow to infuse for several hours.
- Heat the coconut milk mixture over medium heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks with salt and the additional 2 tablespoons of maple syrup.
- Add about 1/2 cup of the hot coconut milk mixture to the egg yolk mixture. Whisk well.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture into the coconut mixture and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the custard thickens and coats the back of the spoon (this should take about 5 minutes). Do not allow the custard to boil. Add the vanilla, stir to combine, and remove from the heat.
- Push the custard through a fine mesh strainer and discard the peppercorns. Chill the custard in an ice bath or cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Pour the cooled custard into your ice cream maker and proceed according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Serve with additional crushed pink peppercorns sprinkled over the ice cream.