- 1 1/2 cups of unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of white sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 4 squares semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla bean paste
- 2 large eggs
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/3 cup of pure maple syrup
- 1/2 to a full half pint of whipping cream (amount depends on how thick you want the cream filling to be in the center of the cake. For the cake shown, 1/2 of a half pint was used)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of white sugar (use a full teaspoon if you use the full half pint of whipping cream)
- Fresh strawberries, washed and sliced.
- 3 squares of semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 1/2 cups of sifted icing sugar
- 4 tablespoons of cold milk
- Sift all the dry ingredients (except the sugar) together in a bowl and set aside.
- In a small pot add 1 cup of water and your sugar. Bring to a boil while stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Once at a boil, remove from heat and add the maple syrup.
- Pour into a large bowl, add the chopped chocolate and butter and stir until all the chocolate is melted.
- Stir in vanilla bean paste, then beat in eggs and add the dry ingredients.
- Pour batter in two 8 inch round prepared cake pans.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until tester comes out clean from center of cakes.
- Pour whipping cream into your mixing bowl, add the sugar and beat on high until thickened.
- Spread over top of the bottom layer of your cake.
- Placed the sliced strawberries over the whipped cream.
- Add your top layer of cake.
- Melt chocolate and butter together in microwave for approximately 2 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and stir together until chocolate is completely melted.
- Add the icing sugar and milk and beat until smooth.
- Pour over the top of your cake and let excess drip/drizzle over the sides.
- Garnish the top of the cake with a chocolate dipped strawberry.
- Remove from fridge approximately 20-30 minutes before serving. Refrigerate any leftovers.